Select Social Study Training & Activity Programs
Unless otherwise stated, programs are offered through Oregon’s Classroom Law Project (CLP).
- Oregon Civic Scholars Program — Supporting professional development for civic education teachers. State legislators name two Civic Scholar teachers from each district.
- 4-H Parliamentary Procedures Guide for Teachers – Offered by the Wisconsin 4-H Southern District
- Project Citizen – A portfolio-based Core Value & Oregon SS Approved curriculum where students identify a public issue, research it, and make and execute an action plan.
- YMCA Youth in Government – A mock legislation program for high school student teams to present at the State Capital. Financial assistance available.
- Mock Trials
- Law Day Conference
- Oregon Civics Conference for Teachers
- iCivics – Founded by retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, iCivics gives students free tools to participate in civic life and teaching resources for their teachers.
- Civics Day at the Legislature – Held at State Capital, first day in December
- Voting Registration Training – Offered by the League of Women Voters
- Mock Elections – Offered by the League of Women Voters
- Voting Rights & Selma-to-Montgomery Bridge to the Ballot Video & Classroom Guide “Teaching Tolerance” free teaching guides, offered by the Southern Poverty Law Center
- One Woman One Vote film – Presented by PBS
- Iron Jawed Angels film – Presented by HBO films
- Democracy: The Civic Mission of Schools from Annenberg Public Policy Center at the Univ. of Pennsylvania and the Campaign for the Civic Mission of Schools
- “Barriers & Bias: The Status of Women in Leadership” from AAUW
- “Civic Education and Knowledge of Government and Politics,” from Georgetown University and the Center for Civic Education
- 2006 Oregon Civics Survey sponsored by the Classroom Law Project
- The 2014 Nation’s Report Card: U.S. History, Geography and Civics, by the National Assessment of Educational Process, sponsored by the National Center for Education Statistics.
Check out our CHiPS brochure.
CHiPS in the News!
- Register-Guard Guest Viewpoint, “Women’s group works to further civics education,” February 20, 2017.
- Included in the national AAUW Outlook Summer 2016 issue (see pages 24-25).
CHiPS Meeting Minutes
AAUW Eugene-Lane Branch Meeting Minutes:
Use our AAUW Eugene-Lane branch contact form to be in touch, or contact our CHiPS program coordinator Peggy Shippen directly at shippen63 [at] gmail [dot] com.